Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Truth and Grace.

Staircases and alleyways. I have come to the conclusion that alleys are considered the "safe zones". They are the peace amongst a busy crowd. They are the relief within chaos. Occasionally, you will see the old Italian man, smoking his cigar up against the wall. Alleyways are a destination, unlike a crazy street where the options of pizzerias and bars are endless. The staircases are the polar opposite. I take in a breathe of air before attempting to squeeze myself up the crowded stairs. These landmarks are more comparable to your life that just the hectic lifestyle of Rome. As Christ followers.. we are called to live in the stairwells.

"I need both: truth, so that I cannot hide from him, and grace, so that I do not wish to hide. If either were lacking, his severity might seem heavy without the one and his gaiety frivolous without the other. Truth without grace is bitter; and without the restraint of truth, devotion can be capricious, immoderate and over-confident." - Bernard of Clairvaux


1 comment:

  1. Love your quote, Bernard of Clairvaux is one of my favorite writers. Glad you are having a trip of a lifetime. Your memories will be priceless!

    ReplyDelete